My labour story πŸ–€

This blog may be a slightly longer one.. and I want to make this very clear from the beginning, if your scared or worried about labour this is NOT here to put you off. Everyone has a completely different experience. I didn’t have a clue what was going to happen to me! I was just unfortunate that it didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped.

My due date was 15th November 2017.. this day came and went and still no baby, as I’m sure happens to most people with their due date. I was already so fed up by this point, I was so ready to meet my baby boy now! I always had the feeling he was a bit too comfy and going to be late!

Me and my partner Sam were hoping that I would go into labour on a morning or evening just so that I didn’t have the mad panic of being on my own when it all happened. So every night we were keeping an eye out for any little signs something might happen.. but nothing.. I never had any Braxton hicks, twinges or anything!

This may have a bit too much detail throughout.. but what would be the point in me missing out things for you?

On Thursday 16th November I was woken up at around 6am on very wet sheets.. I honestly thought I had weed myself. Any pregnant lady out there, or anyone who has had kids knows this feeling! There are times when as much as you want to there is no way of controlling your bladder at times! However no I never did actually wet myself or the bed.. EVER! So I got up to go to the toilet and it just kept trickling down my legs. By this point I was concerned that I had officially lost all control of my bladder haha! As I wasn’t having contractions the last thing I thought was that my waters had broken. I finally worked out that I definitely hadn’t lost control, and my waters had actually broken. Sams alarm went off for work and I said to him errrrm I think my waters have broken. I was so excited but suddenly this whole chilled out let’s see what happens during labour feeling had vanished! I was absolutely terrified! I rang the maternity unit and they said to just have breakfast get sorted and come to the day unit and they will check. She said there was no rush if I wasn’t having contractions but to ring if this changed. When we got there the midwife confirmed they had broken. She said due to risk of infection I had 24 hours from when they broke for contractions to start or I would be induced. She booked me in for the induction just incase for the next morning but said most women return that night as they tend to start naturally.

I tried everything that day, aromatherapy, walking, bouncing on my ball, pressure points, baths, chilli! I was desperate now as I wanted to give birth on the small maternity unit but if I was induced I couldn’t do this. It came to around 20:00 and still nothing so I decided to get myself an early night (it was guna be the last decent sleep I got). I was tossing and turning and couldn’t sleep.. then suddenly I felt a pop and an awful pain came over me! Sam was playing his PlayStation for the last time ever!! I text him to come quickly. My contractions were coming thick and fast.. 1 and a half minutes to 2 minutes from the get go! We rang the maternity unit who told us to come in. From this moment everything was a bit of a blur…

I wanted a water birth so they tried me in the birthing pool as pain relief to see if I liked it. I hated it at the time! I had this awful pain/ pressure in my back and bum! The pain of that had took over the contraction pain. I kept saying it to them and for a while kept saying it was normal.. when I was examined late that night I was told I was 4cms so they gave me the gas and air. At first it made me sick.. but when I got over that it was amazing! It didn’t take the pain away, but made me feel like I wasn’t even there.. it was a strange feeling. I still kept complaining about this pain and pressure in my back so they offered me water injections.. for anyone who ever gets offered these.. if you only take one thing away with you from this.. DON’T DO IT! I was told it would be like a bees sting.. it definitely wasn’t! It was absolutely awful! I have never screamed so much in my life. Mum said she actually saw my eyes popping out of my face. They were brutal.. and didn’t even help!

Night staff handed over to the day staff and this is when it all started to go wrong.. not because of my new midwife she was AMAZING! I can’t thank her enough for everything she did. She came in and examined me.. she told me that she was handed over I was about 6-7 cms.. she said I was 5 at a push and that was her being generous, she was concerned as I didn’t seem to be progressing. She also informed me my baby was actually back to back and this is why I was in so much pain. She told me she needed to transfer me to another hospital for medical interventions and where there were doctors. As you can imagine I fell apart at this point. I was so so scared! I knew it was best for me and my baby though, and getting him here safe was all that mattered to me.

I remember being wheeled off into the ambulance and having to leave my mum to drive herself 40 minutes to the hospital on her own. I felt awful. I just remember the sound of the sirens being set off as we left. Then being wheeled up corridors into a big empty room.

I got put on a hormone drip as soon as I got there and given stronger pain relief.. again it didn’t take the pain away, but it definitely made me feel better. I felt soooo spaced out from it.

The hormone drip I was on was getting turned up and down and to me all it felt like it was doing was speeding up my contractions.. I felt I wasn’t getting a break! It got to the point where I would not listen to anyone but Sam. I don’t know why! The midwives were the ones I needed to listen to but I just didn’t want to. I was exhausted by this point.. they kept making me try to move to improve Freddie’s heart rate but I was just tired! They tried to have me up and about the room but I remember trying to move was just unbearable now! My progress was slow but finally I was at 9cms.. I knew it couldn’t be long now.. I had been in labour now for about 20 hours (from when my contractions started)!! 4 hours passed and I was still 9cms. I was suddenly welcomed by A LOT of people in my room suddenly asking me a lot of questions.. they decided it was safer to take me down for an emergency c section. They were worried that both me and baby were getting tired now and were aware it had been a very long time and they just felt it wasn’t progressing as quickly as I should be.

You would think being told this I would have been scared.. truthfully I was exhausted.. I honestly didn’t care what they did to me anymore, I needed my baby out now! I felt awful because my mum had been there from the start but only one person was allowed into theatre.. of course Sam had to be there! The moving around and sitting up I had to do for my epidural felt like torture! But when that kicked in.. wow! I instantly felt relaxed for the first time in 24 hours!! Don’t ask me why I didn’t have one before, I was offered it but kept refusing it (I don’t know why I just always said I didn’t want one!). I remember hearing Sam in the back room then people telling him to sit down and take a minute as he was feeling faint. He knew that within minutes we were about to meet our baby boy! The staff in theatre were amazing they made me feel so at ease and relaxed.. and before I knew it was the safe arrival of my beautiful baby boy! Listening out for that first cry felt like forever to me but no one was concerned and I finally heard him! (I’m going to write a separate story of the first look and my feelings after birth).. but let’s just say I was so relieved! I honestly thought a few times I was going to loose him. I couldn’t have done any of it without Sam, my mum, and the amazing staff at James Cook hospital (including my midwife from Northallerton who stayed with me for as long as possible).

My perfect baby boy was born at 20:09 on the 17th November 2017, weighing 8lbs 7oz.. we called him Freddie Reuben Wright. This was the day our lives were changed forever, in the best way it ever possibly could have been. I will be forever thankful for the help I received on my stay! It was the most traumatic experience of my life.. it effected me hard.. but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for my baby boy πŸ–€

I hope I didn’t scare anyone too much.. I know people who had awful labours, and people who had perfect labours. Your never going to know until it happens to you. So don’t be scared, take it as it comes and see what happens. The safe arrival of your baby is what counts.. nothing else. Trust me, you will do anything for that to happen!


  1. Jess Holmes
    July 2, 2018 / 8:25 pm

    Emotional alert !!! ❀️❀️❀️ I loved reading this – made me think about my birth.
    Who would have thought we were going though labour at the same time with babies 20 mins apart. Xxx

    • July 2, 2018 / 8:29 pm

      I know it’s soooo crazy isn’t it πŸ™Šβ€οΈ I love it! Xxx

  2. July 24, 2018 / 7:53 am

    I have just sobbed, it brings back so many memories and just put Into perspective how strong us mummas are β™‘ well done babe xxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *